Friday, March 28, 2014

Who Am I as a Communicator

     For this week's assignment, we were asked to evaluate ourselves as a communicator as well as have two others evaluate us as well.  This exercise allowed me to self-reflect on not only how I behaved in situations but how others viewed my behavior as well as my ability to listen to what others had to say.  I was surprised by some of the results and it has helped me to reflect on areas in which my communication abilities can be improved.  What I found in the "Communication Anxiety Inventory," (Rubin et al., 2009) was that although I do feel anxious in some situations, it is not obvious to everyone around me.  This was a relief because I do tend to get nervous in some situations but not in all communication but there are areas I do need some work.  In the "Verbal Aggressiveness Scale," (Rubin et al., 2009), I evaluated myself much harder then how others see me, significant to be exact.  What a relief to find out that the two individuals that evaluated me do not see me that way and that even though I may be thinking something, I am hesitant to say it!  In the " Listening Styles Profile," (Rubin et al., 2009), I fell into the people-orientated group each time which just reconfirms that I am too trusting of others, which I am always being told.  But what do we have in the world without faith and trust in one another?  I know it sounds naïve but it is that blind faith that allows me to go into communications with others without judgment.
       The insights that I learned about communication this week is that I have to have more self-esteem and confidence in what I am saying and not be so afraid to speak up.  I also learned that I let my emotional side get the best of my listening abilities.  This is not a terrible thing when relating to families and children but it may cause me to miss important details that will be beneficial in helping children and families.  The thing that surprised me the most was that I did not seem more anxious or nervous when speaking amongst a group of people.  Giving a presentation in my old job was one thing but joining in on conversation with a group of people that could essentially criticize everything I have to say or believing that others would really want to listen to me is another!  I will really have to work on this.  Overall, this exercise taught me things about myself I never knew.
 
Rubin, R.B., Palmgreen, P., & Sypher, H.E. (Eds.) (2009).  Communication research measures: A sourcebook: New York: Routledge

Rubin, R.B., A.M. Graham, E.E., Perse, E.M., & Selbold, D.R. (Eds.) (2009).  Communication research measures II: A sourcebook: New York: Routledge.
 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the communicatio/anxiety survey. I also scored myself higher and everyone else scored me lower. I wish that we could give this survey to our families as a self assessment for our program. I feel that this would really help the professional development of our staff with working with children and families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    I was also surprised at the outcomes of the surveys! I found the surveys so helpful as we reflected on our communication. This is something every educator should experience! I know that the two individuals that assisted me also desired to know more about their own communications and neither of them are in education - these surveys can help everyone!
    When you said that "others would want to hear what you have to say", I wanted to share with you that the knowledge we have gained through our studies is valuable and as we share with others what we have learned, we spread the knowledge making it even more valuable!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey,
    My results to the questions on the assessments seem similar to yours. The feelings I have about communicating were also said to not be displayed to the individuals who took the assessments with me in mind. I as well am also a very trusting person. I feel that a lot of educators are soft, kind, with loving hearts which makes us seem a lot of times that we are overly trusting. I also feel that a lot of my faith is blind but that doesn't make me seem foolish. I feel I am less judgmental and able to make connections to others.
    Thanks for sharing! -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this overall week was a learning experience for everyone. I think anxiety is something that a lot of our colleagues have experienced when communicating. I know it is something I experiences whenever I have to get up and speak in front of a large group of adults. It's interesting to me how when teaching my preschoolers I'm not nervous to talk at all, but when it comes to speaking in front of adults I get anxiety very bad. Overall I feel that this has been a great learning experience for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey, I like how you said you need to be more confident and have self esteem. Try positive self talk because being self confident begins with how you look at your self and remember we all have a little anxiety.

    ReplyDelete