Saturday, March 22, 2014

Communication and Culture

     Culture is all around us whether it be the choices of television programs, the media, the internet, the radio or even in our everyday life.  I think that we have just become so accustomed to the diversity all around us that we may not even realize that it influences how we behave, interact with others and communicate both verbally and nonverbally.  Even something that we may see as simple as eye contact with another individual can mean different things to different cultures.  (Gonzalenz-Mena, 2010)  But the question is are we really aware that we are behaving differently with people of differing culture ?  Research suggests that when we communicate with others of different cultural background than our own, we tend to share less information.  (Beebe, Beebe, & Redmond, 2011) 
     After reflecting upon my own behavior, I found that I do communicate differently with different groups.  A perfect example is when I am within the school community.  My children attend a modest size Catholic school and the families and the teachers are very personable and often show kindness in conversation by standing closer, touching your arm or shoulder, making eye contact, and sharing information about family.  In contrast to this, when I would be among collegues in my last profession,  most individuals kept their distance, some did not make eye contact, and there was definitely no human contact or in most cases sharing little or no personal information. This was a professional community or work place environment so I did understand the differences in behavior.  I did find some variation between different cultures though, the scientist from Poland would often say hello with a hug and the one from France would kiss on the cheek and always talk about his little ones. I felt in these cases their cultures did influence their behaviors.
      In essence, I do feel that our culture and upbringing influences how we see the world and how we behave with different individuals in different situations.  Three strategies that I would use to help me communicate more effectively is first to educate yourself about an individual or families cultural background in attempts to not only offend or alienate them but to build strong relationships.  Second I would observe not only the individuals but the environment and adjust my interactions to be appropriate for that situation.  And third I would use politically correct language, stay clear of profanity, stereotypes & labels, as well as words and expressions that may be rude or disrespectful. (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012)  In order to be competent communicators, we must communicate in a way that is appropriate for the situation, and continually evaluate and assess our own behavior.  (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012)

References
 


Beebe, S.A., Beebe, S.J., & Redmond, M.V. (2011).  Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.) Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
 
Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010).  50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families.  Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson-Education, Inc.
 
O'Hair, D. & Wiemann, M. (2012).  Real communication: An introduction.  New York: Bedford/St. Martin's

2 comments:

  1. Tracy,
    I enjoyed reading you comments and the experiences you shared. I found it interesting the difference between the Catholic school and your previous work environment. Working in the public schools for many years, I have seen a similar difference in the communications and interactions between teachers and students during the regular classroom and the afterschool program. The regular classroom interactions were similar to those you described in the professional setting while the afterschool was similar to the Catholic school. The afterschool teachers are more one on one with the children and focused on meeting the children's needs.
    My grandkids attend a small private school and the teachers are so involved in their lives! They even attend their extra curricular activities and throw parties at their homes! I notice the difference in my grandchildren as they feel an acceptance and support from their teachers.
    What are your thoughts on the direction of public education as it relates to the classroom teacher?

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      I think with public education standards becoming so much more stringent it puts a lot more pressure on the classroom teachers. More is expected of them in a shorter period of time. In the area we live in I have seen budget cuts in our school system which has meant less teachers and only half as many teacher's assistants. It has forced parents to go outside the school system for additional services such as tutoring and individual education plans for students. I do worry that financially many places are not able to keep up with the increasing standards which makes it harder not only on the children but the parents. Children from low income households have resources available such as subsidies for preschool but I think middle class families are suffering and as a result putting more stress on the classroom teacher.

      Delete