Saturday, May 12, 2012

Post-partum depression in China

   Post-partum depression is major concern for the emotional health of a new mother.  In the United States, there are a variety of anti-depression medications out there for woman who are suffering after giving birth but to this I seen a downfall.  I say this because having three children myself in three years I  had major hormone fluctuations along with the stress of a career and a large family to care for and with all of these factors, depression and anxiety were unfortunately the outcome.  I didn't want to go on medication because it is something that will be in your medical file forever and at the time, I was a research chemist and worked with dangerous inorganic chemicals on a daily basis. I wanted to feel like myself again but did I want to risk that someone might find out that I was suffering this way and doing my job?   Would they think I was a danger to myself?  I know that in this day and age we have more than proven that men and women can work in the same fields even ones that were once or still are considered male dominated, I know I worked in the field of geochemistry.  But the problem is that men don't have babies so how could they possibly understand depression after childbirth.  We are expected to just go back to work 6 weeks after having a baby like nothing happened.  But with the economic state our country is in and housing and food costs and the amount of jobs that have been lost, in most cases women do not have a choice but to go back to work whether they feel ready or not.
     The chinese have a different perspective on this.  One that I wish women in the United States had available.  In Taiwan, it is customary to set aside an entire month for a new mother and child while her own mother cares for her and the newborn.  This gives the mother time to recover and not worry about work or cooking and cleaning.  Chinese medicine compliment the recovery by bringing the mother's body back to balance quickly with the use of herbs, dietary recommendations, acupuncture, and moxbustion (a warming process using the herb Artisimae).  The focus of the treatment is to harmonize the bodies energies and correct the imbalance in the system.  A chinese medicine doctor prescribes just the right combination of herbs and diet but no medication.
     I understand that our society is different and there is definitely not as much family support available for a variety of different reasons.  But having four children myself, I hope that when my children have children I can help care for them and my grandchildren so they may get the rest they need.  Something I have already adopted in my childcare is that I send the mom's quick little pictures throughout the day on my phone.  I know how hard it can be to have to leave your children especially when you have been up most of the night.  I have a couple of moms who I know are very sad at work and they say the pictures help get them through the day.  I also find that with all the rushing around everyone does, sometimes parents skip breakfast so I bake muffins a couple times a week for the kids and I try and have them ready when the mom's come in case they missed breakfast.  I know it's our job to keep the children healthy but moms need a little help too.

Reference:
Maloney, A.  Post-partum Depression from the Chinese Perspective
Retrieved from: http://www.jademtnhealth.com/articles/post-partum-depression-chinese-perspective

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy. I can definitely relate to your posting. When I was pregnany with my daughter, I received no maternity leave nor did I have the option of whether I wanted to return to work or not. Returning to work was mandatory. I never experienced post-partum depression because I did have family support however, it wasn't easy getting back into the swing of reality. Although one month may not seem like much time, I respect the country of Taiwan for giving new mothers a chance to properly rest, bond and spend time with their newborn.

    ReplyDelete