Friday, March 29, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

     I was the target of a microaggression about 15 years ago when I had first began my career as a research chemist.  I was happily settling into my new surroundings and my new office when one of the scientists who was in the next office came over to say hello.  I was so excited to meet all of these wonderful, intelligent individuals that I had read so many research papers from.  The conversation started out really well.  He told me about his work and what his ultimate goals were career wise, it was so interesting, I just wanted hear more.  When he was finished talking about himself, he turned the conversation to me and just as I was about tell him about my education, work experience, and what I had hoped to accomplish career wise, he said "whose wife or daughter are you that got you this job?"  I thought he was kidding.  It got worse.  The next comment was , " well your a pretty girl and you don't really fit in with the other chemists here so I just assumed someone must have gotten you the job."  At this point, I was a little upset but just tried to look at it not in a bad way, he just didn't know and I was hired to work with a group of all men geochemists.  So I assured him that I had a ton of work experience and the education to be qualified for this job and was really excited that I had to a chance to work for such a prominent research institution, it had been my dream as a child.  He smiled and told me not to take it the wrong way but being a pretty female, no one was ever going to take my work seriously.....
      Well I spent twelve years there, lots of publications, famous studies, and even was part of a documentary that aired on the discovery channel but was always a little intimidated that no matter my contribution to science, there would be those individuals who would judge me based on the fact I was a female in an all men's group.  I can't say this was the only time this happened to me during my career as a chemist.   Many times when people would meet me they would assume I was the secretary of the scientist I worked for and not actually the person who had developed the scientific method they were there to learn about.   I think what was even more uncomfortable was that when this type of situation arose, in many cases that person was there to work in one of the three trace metal laboratories that I managed and when they would meet me through my boss and were told that I was their boss, there was always this little doubt in my mind that certain individuals weren't going to take what I had to teach them seriously and because we worked with dangerous, corrosive chemicals in all of our work, them being safe was my number one priority.  And I have to say that on at least two different occassions, we almost had a disasterous situation because someone didn't take me completely seriously and felt that they did not need to follow my safety protocols.  I always tried to not let situations like this one bother me but it was a little sad to think that no matter how much work you do, what your accomplishments are, or your education is, certain individuals are going to judge you based on your surface characteristics and not your abilities.
     The observation experiences this week enlightened me in regards to how even that certain individuals can be very well intentioned, sometimes what they are not saying or doing is the most damaging. The  negative effects of discrimination, predjudice, and stereotypes on the self esteem of the person on the receiving end can be so powerful and long lasting.  The sad part is that even the most well intentioned individual without the proper knowledge, professional development, and awareness of culture and diversity can have powerful, damaging effects on an individual without even realizing it.  It just reaffirms the notion that continual professional development, education, and awareness in early education is essential.

3 comments:

  1. Early childhood Education is so lucky to have a well rounded and well educated professional amongst us. The person with the real issue were ones making the comments, they were insecure with their own training and education that they tried to have you question yours, a female no less. Congratulations on your accomplishments! And you are right, we must continue to educate ourselves and continue to be aware of culture and family dynamics as they continuously change because no matter how well our intentions may be if we do not keep up with the societal changes then we too add to discrimination, prejudice, and stereotyping even in subtle ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tracy,
    Let me begin by saying how proud I am of you… maybe in some way I am being microaggression but if so I promise I do not mean to. Its just your remind me of something that took place many years ago. I started out as an Electrical Engineer, because I was treated so badly (at the college in which I chose to seek my EE degree)I eventually dropped out. At the time I was the only Black student (male or female) Black person, and “non-traditional student,” My colleagues (all White young males) treated as if I were a sinner trying to get into the Gates of Haven. My daughter (God willing) will receive her EE degree this coming May. She had like me, started out pursuing an EE degree and dropped out to eventually obtain a Bachelors in Criminal Justice…she really wanted a degree in EE, but felt out of place in her beginning classes, so she settled for something she did not really have her heart set to do. I reminded her (I would take she and sister with me to some of my EE classes) what I had went through and that but if she really wanted to seek a degree and really wanted to become an EE she should buckle up and go for it… she did (it was not easy, I took a few rides with her and the roads were very bumpy and hard but for the most part she has arrived). I do not know if you had it hard in pursuing your degree, If not good for you… As I said earlier I am really impressed and proud of you… best to you and I am sure you will and are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you had to experience such a harsh reaction as that. You really handled it very well, being a female in certain jobs is very hard. I agree with you about the person on the receiving end, sometimes will gain much power. Sometimes we just have to hold on and let God fight the battles we encounter, I know God had your back and he will continue to carry you through. Thanks for sharing that!!!

    ReplyDelete